Heya, I've been having some major problems getting PD to load on my mac (have been for the past couple years) for some reason it only loads up when the internet is on, and sometimes not at all - otherwise, it just bounces there on the dock for a bit then stops. I've updated to the newest version of PD, running the latest version of OSX and its still happening- please help!
PD won't load (mac)
I am not a Mac user so I probably won't be of much help, but I think you need to write more information about your problem so that someone else can help you:
- which version of OS X are you using?
- are you using pd-extended or pd vanilla?
- when you write that this has been a problem for the past couple of years, has this happened on other machines? Or on the same machine but with other versions of OS X?
- are you absolutely sure that it only loads up when the internet is on? That sounds awfully strange to me. Is there any chance that may be an impression? -- that is, Pd is not loading very often, and by chance you seem to be online when it does, but actually it's not related to the issue?
- is this a clean installation of Pd?
- have you ever had this problem or did Pd use to work properly before?
One other thing to try relating to the peculiarity of OS X is to open PD for the first time with right click on the .app package and click "open" in the menu
also, try deleting the preference file:
EDIT: I trashed preferences and got PD back again!
there is also:
I tried deleting the pure data preference files but for some reason it won't let me delete this one: 'org.puredata.pd.wish.plist' as it comes up with the error message 'the operation can't be completed because the item "org.puredata.pd.wish.plist" is in use.'
This post is deleted!
Okay, I managed to delete the preference files but its still happening. It only allows me to open PD when I am bluetooth connected to my phone internet - really weird. It must be some sort of buggy saved state or something that I can't get rid of. Any ideas?
I'm using OSX 10.9.5, PD-Extended, I've shared .pd files between computers and it hasn't happened on other machines, it only starts when only my phone internet is connected via bluetooth, and I recently did a clean reinstall of Pd as well as deleting the preference files. It used to work fine up until a couple of years ago.
Also, another point that's worth noting, is that after I start up pd using my phone connection, I can disconnect my phone after its started up, and use, save, and exit the application no problem. It seems to purely be a problem with just starting up.
no luck so far any other ideas? is it worth an entire rebuild of OSX?
That's all fine and dandy, but unfortunately I don't have any mac OSX install dvd's...
@Jamestocher I think they phased out physical disks a few years ago. If you are running 10.9 or above you already have a recovery partition installed on your hard drive. Shut down your mac and then hold option when powering back on. Choose to boot into the recovery drive. Then reinstall the OS.