I'm prepping for a course at the University I teach at and have come up with these basic patches that read out data from a Wiimote, Nunchuk and Balance Board. I have the Classic Controller but didn't bother to set up a patch for it (that is an assignment for my students down the road). Anyhow, I thought some of you might find this useful as a starting point. The Wii Balance Board patch does have an example of really basic noteon/off functionality with weight in the bottom left and right corners of the board. Keep in mind, however, this is a super duper basic example to get the minds of my students jump started.

To get started:

1.) Start OSCulator (if you don't have it, get it!)
2.) Open the Wii Balance Board or Wiimote and Nunchuk OSCulator files (I created two different files for two different projects - you can easily combine both on your own)
3.) Click the Wiimote Drawer icon and connect your Wiimotes/Wii-peripherals (to connect Balance Board, push the red button in the battery compartment)
4.) Take note of what number controller your Wiimote is connected to in the drawer. You may have to change number in the [routeOSC /3] object where '3' represents the number of the wiimote in the drawer (yes, it is a tad confusing).
5.) *IMPORTANT* - The OSCulator patches are set to output on localhost:9000. In the next steps, your [udpreceive 9000] must be set to receive on port 9000 and NO OTHER PATCH CAN BE USING PORT 9000 (look for the dashed red box as an indication of it not working right)
6.) Open the corresponding Pd patch (ie. if using Balance Board OSCulator file, open Balance Board pd patch).
7.) Nerd out and explore possibilities! The Balance board patch is already set to send out an E, F# and B on MIDI channel 1. I use the IAC Bus to route the MIDI to other programs on the MAC. This, of course, is a tutorial in and of itself, so I'll let you gather that information on your own (it is out there).

I'll probably make some tutorial vidz of this and other lessons as the class progresses over the next two quarters (20 weeks). Finally, the .zip was created using the standard 'compress files' feature of OSX 10.5. I've found that sometimes this can create problems on PC (but then, OSCulator is Mac only so I figure it doesn't matter).

l8r,

hdez

http://www.pdpatchrepo.info/hurleur/wiik-sauce.zip