Take a look at this patch!

Now I've got something that almost does what I intended!

When you toggle record on, it starts writing to a large temporary table. When you toggle it off, it copies the contents of the temporary table to the table called $1 (in [pd tablecopy]). While it's playing, you can overdub by toggling [dub] and punch by toggling [pch].

Issues: If you push play too soon after you finish recording, it plays the first time through okay, and then makes this terrible block-sized-feedback noise. Strangely, if you toggle record again after this happens, it finishes playing the loop normally as it starts recording again (try it). So you have to wait to push play. Ideally, it would work like a looper pedal and start playing back immediately after you stop recording.
Also, there's a glitch when it wraps around to the beginning of the table (you can't overdub a steady tone and expect it to play without a gap).

I want to use a table at some point because I really want the ability to load a wav file and overdub it, and to give other parts of my main patch access to my loop to chop it up, granularize it, and otherwise manipulate it. Is there a way to do this while fixing all the above issues?

Thanks!!!

http://www.pdpatchrepo.info/hurleur/recorder~.pd