I used the last few days to analyze the authentic expression technology filter in Native Instruments' "Kontakt" to make my own remake of it in form of a multiple input audio source morphing tool that functions exactly like the AET filter in NI Kontakt. I'll upload a video demo on how it's done, soon. For now here's the description. This following little patch is a recreation of how Kontakt's modwheel behaves in relation to key velocity. You need it for an authentic AET experience.
What Kontakt's channel vocoder does is this: It swaps the carrier and modulator input signal everytime a morphing has finished while at the same time routing another audio source into the respectively muted input.
This can easily be done with freeware, too - with up to 12 audio sources!
Here is how:
this picture shows all softwares needed to fake the AET filter functioning.: a modular host / VST wrapper; Midicurve; RD switch 6×6; DtblkFXs
routing and parameter assignment:
- MIDI keyboard into Pd, from Pd to your DAW, inside your DAW rout it into all 'Midicurve'-plugins
- rout first and second Midicurves into a 6x6 switch each; assigning 6×6's input switching parameter to the Midi CC coming from the respective Midicurve plug-in
- rout third Midicurve to DtblkFXs, assigning it's "0.Val" parameter to Midi output CC coming from that respective Midicurve
- rout your audio sources (synths / samplers / microphones) into the RD switches - instruments 1,3,5,7 & 9 into one switch and the instruments 2,4,6 & 8 into the other switch (all instruments get a different input at the RD switches - don't put all of them into the first audio channel, otherwise they won' t morph)
- draw the transfer functions of the Midicurves as seen in the picture and make sure to place a hook at "CC" and select the CC of your modwheel!
If you turn your modwheel up, now, the switches should change their input channels exactly in the moment when a full morphing from one source to the next has been finished.
- adjust DtblkFXs as seen in the picture!
Much fun with your own totally free AET morphing tool!