This one was just too much fun Not to do.

help.png

16-band_vu_meter_sv.zip

{pix of its inards at the end of this post}

And given what @whale-av has been teaching me about notch filters (to remedy the issues I have been having trying to come up with the best noise suppression I can for ambient noise in my apartment) I came up/made this (which by the way, this work has revealed are Not at a specific frq):

A 16-band vu meter which scales by taking an initial pitch and width; passing them to the "band_env~_sv" abstraction which takes a signal, start value (in midi pitch number), width (also in pitch), and sending them to a [mtof] to convert to frqs; passes that value to a lop~ and the adjusted value to a hip~; and ends passing the envelope for the band to the left outlet and the new pitch (beginning + width) to its right outlet. It then just daisy-chains those 16 times.

16-band(zoomable)_vu_meter_sv:

left inlet: the signal to be read

no outlets

controls:

activate: turns on the [switch~] and begins writing the values to the array

all: sets the scale to start p(itch)=0 and the width to 8 (pitch) so it runs from midi 0 to 127

start(p): the initial pitch to begin the chain

width(p): how wide (in pitch) each band should be (afterthought: might have been better to make this a slider to enable semi-such tones).

in|out of bnds: a message to indicate if the final number (because of the combination of starting pitch and the width multiplied 16 times) is beyond the range (128) (in which case the entire graph will be at zero because it has turned off the [spigot~]).

range: shows the range of pitches of the zoom/vu meter. i.e. the starting value and the end value (start + the width x 16).

Hope you enjoy it and/or find it funny/cool/usable/etc.

Peace and happy pd-ing to you.
-svanya

patch.png

abs.png