I just got an Edirol FA-101, hoping that it would work with both my 667mHz Powerbook and my Linux desktop machine through Freebob.

When I use it with my Powerbook, things are fine when I'm not using Pd (including using other audio apps), but when I open Pd and set it to use the FA-101 as input and output, the whole machine starts responding very slowly, and, even if I turn the latency up to 500 ms, just monitoring input through the Test patch sounds like I'm getting serious underruns as if I'd turned down the latency to 1 ms.

I'm testing my housemate's M-Audio FireWire 1814 right now with the same setup, and I don't have any of those problems at all. It's fine at 12 ms latency at 44100Hz.

So... the questions: Has anyone else gotten a similar setup to work? Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems like the problem might be Apple's CoreAudio driver for the FA-101. The FA-101 does not require any additional drivers, but the M-Audio requires you to install its own drivers.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
I get a lot of idiot points - and on my first post on the forum, too. I didn't match the Pd sampling rate to what I selected on the FA-101. The FA-101 has a knob to select sampling rate; you can't change it in software. Anyway, I'd still like to hear from anyone who has a similar setup. Thanks.